How does celebrating Arbor Day equate to workplace wellness?
We believe that productive and healthy workspace shares these qualities:
- comforts – creates options for multiple work postures, sitting, standing & lounging
- stimulates – both mind and senses, using color, scents such as vanilla or citrus, white or pink noise
- energizes – from the amount of natural light throughout the space to healthy food choices in the vending machine and kitchen/cafe
- inspires – your best work no matter the work mode, from quiet/focus, to collaborative, to networking
- evokes – a sense of belonging and eliminates feelings of work isolation and stress
All of these qualities can also be achieved by conducting some of your work outdoors, under a tree!
Let us explain.
Providing outdoor workspace, complete with strong wi-fi signals makes it a “no excuses” option. (ok, excluding inclement weather, earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, blistering heat, frozen tundra conditions, tsunamis if we must)
Let’s share more specifics. Stacia Pierce was recently published on the Huffington Post “10 Best Practices to Staying Healthy at Work”. The highlighted parentheses are ours but lets focus on #7 “Take breaks and get out in the sun and fresh air. Make sure to get your daily dose of vitamin D by getting outdoors every day.(stimulates) Even on your busiest days, it’s important to take a few minutes to step away and regroup. (inspires) Invigorate yourself by going outside and taking a brisk walk around your office building.(energizes) Or calm yourself from a hectic day by simply sitting and meditating quietly for a few minutes surrounded by nature” (comforts)
Taking it outdoors will evoke the feeling of being connected to something bigger and reducing stress.
We agree with the Arbor Day Foundation that “Trees are Simply Amazing” so take action!
and PLANT A TREE and remember the hammock!